Most military wives understand how different military life is compared to civilian life. Other people who are brand new to military, or aren't in the military at all, truly won't understand this COMPLETELY, so bare with me, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I've heard the tranistion from marine life to civilian life would be difficult; if not a lot, we would still have a few bumps in the road along the way.I never though I'd have to worry about things four months in advance though.
First problem? Health insurance. Tricare is the health insurance most military families have. We were unsure what would happen with health insurance once Wil left the Marines in May, especially since I'm now pregnant. Today Wil went to deers to check out options, and to see what happens when we get out, what we can do, etc. Well, the day Wil gets out of the USMC, our insurance completely stops. Just gone. It doesn't matter that I'm pregnant, there isn't anything we can do BESIDES....
A. Pay 2,000 for two months of Tricare Health Insurance.
B. Apply for Medicaid.
Well, since I believe 2,000 for TWO months of health insurance, so basically 1,000/MO is WAY too expensive, I decided to apply for Medicaid. But wait, guess what? I have to be a New Jersey resident to apply for Medicaid. That makes sense, right? Well, I'm not a resident. Technically, I'm still a resident of Illinois. SO - I get to drive to New Jersey, eleven hours away, just to get a NJ License. Awesome, right?
BUT IT GETS BETTER.
I'm not for sure, so if any other ladies know anything about this, PLEASE HELP ME OUT, because of course, medicaid doesn't anwser their phones or return phone calls... Since I have health insurance NOW technically, can I apply for NJ Medicaid now/when I get a NJ License, even though I have health insurance?!
If NOT - I'm going to be seven months pregnant without health insurance waiting to get approved for Medicaid, not knowing if I'll be approved or not.
If I can- GREAT. At least I'll have SOME relief in this.
I'm so stressed. Health insurance is such a big deal. Sigh.
Oh and I've been asked when I find out the sex. I'm 20 weeks the last week of February, so hopefully around then sometime. Naval hospital won't tell me until I have my 20 week anatomy scan.
Also, we are test driving cars this week. So far I plan to test drive the Ford Fiesta, and the xD Scion. Any suggestions?
Have you checked into private insurance like aetna or blue cross? They can only pre exist your pregnancy of you have a lapse in coverage thanks to HIPPA and Obama. That might be cheaper and you can look at them before tricare ends.
ReplyDeletei don't know if you can apply for it if you already have insurance at the moment, but after you get dropped from that i would immediatly sign up for medicaid. i applied for mine i think at the end of november, or beginning of december and it started november 1st for me. they send me a new card at the beginning of every month. i agree though, they are hard to get ahold of. i've been trying to get ahold of my case worker so i can find a primary doctor but no one answers.
ReplyDeleteWhen my husband left active duty, he joined the Reserves and now Guard. It's basically the same coverage for $200 a month. It was our best option. Civilian health insurance is very expensive and usually practically worthless.
ReplyDelete